Total Pageviews

Friday, July 15, 2011

My Dermatologist Follow-Up: Accutane?

Hello everyone!
So, yesterday I went to my dermatologist for my 3 month follow up appointment! Please read my acne blog post  to get the full story. I am sad to say that I am disappointed. None of the things she prescribed me worked...not even the antibiotic. To make a long story short, she said we have tried all options, and the only thing left to try is accutane.
Now, I have heard A LOT of bad things about accutane (birth defects, suicide, depression, etc), so my automatic reaction was NO! She said she wanted to do a low dose, because my acne isn't horrible, like some people who try accutane. After talking about it, the thing that really swayed me to say no was the monthly check ups & blood work. First of all, my co pay is $40...THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY TO PAY A MONTH (for me)! Second, I have a serious phobia of needles, and I honestly just don't want to have blood work done every month. Lastly, WHO KNOWS how much accutane actually cost. We did not discuss that.
My acne really bothers me on a day-to-day basis, but with all the risks accutane presents, I think I'd rather not. I will keep trying different things from the drug stores. I really want to buy the Olay Pro X system. I've heard great things about it. I also may try some Cetaphil products.
I will keep you guys updated on what works/does not work for me. I know a lot of people have the same acne issues as me, and I know it is very frustrating! Let me just tell you, DO NOT GIVE UP! My skin was CLEAR for 3 years, so I know it is possible. Also, yall keep me updated on any good acne products. I am always willing to try them!
Thanks to everyone who has been following me on this. If you have any suggestions, questions, etc, please let me know!! Talk to you in my next post<3

4 comments:

  1. I hope you find something that works for you! I was going through acne issues which I think was due to my gallbladder issues I was having because after I got it taken out it started clearing up. I still get some here and there or that time of the month but nothing like it used to be so I feel your pain. I found that Neutrogena foaming scrub has really helped me keep the pimples to only 1 or 2 here and there. Have you tried that one yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Miranda! No I have not tried that one yet! I will def look in to it! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very welcome...Hopefully it will help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke, the girls from Beauty Broadcast sent me here, I'm calling my doctor today to go on Accutane. I've had acne for the last 4 years and it is literally the only thing I haven't done. I found this while looking around. It has some great tips for when you're on Accutane.

    http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Care-of-Your-Skin-While-on-Accutane

    ReplyDelete